As much as everyone looks forward to the holiday season because of the fun celebrations, food and time to relax with loved one, for those who watch their weight or health through healthy eating, it can actually be a bit dreadful. It is definitely a time of more temptations with all the food, dessert and drinks that are available.
I would like to share with you my top 8 tips to stay on track during the holidays:
- Mental Preparation – Remind yourself beforehand what you most desire: “You want to be strong”, “You want to lose weight”, “You want to feel good again”. This will help you stay focused in achieving your goal.
- Skip your carbohydrates before and after the event. This way you have more leeway to enjoy a carbohydrate during the party.
- Never arrive to the event hungry!!! Getting to the party hungry is recipe for disaster because you are bound to eat so much more of all those yummy choices.
- Focus on socializing and not on the food. Don’t stand or sit around the food table.
- Control your portions by choosing a small plate.
- Eat slowly and savor the food and never go back for seconds
- Think Addition and not Deprivation. Think and choose all the healthy choices instead of focusing on the unhealthy ones.
- Offer to bring a dish – make it healthy, low in calories and high in nutrition.
So what are some healthy options to bring or serve at your house if you are hosting? Here are some options to keep in mind:
- Juicy watermelon or pineapple chunks
- Platter of veggies with a dip
- Guacamole, hummus or artichoke dip with whole wheat pita quarters
- Big Colourful salad
- Mixture of different grilled vegetables, spiced and with an herbal dressing on the side
- Grilled fish, grilled chicken or grilled zucchini
- Stuffed red peppers
- Grilled tomatoes
- Yogurt & fruit & nut mix
Remember, the most important thing is to enjoy! Just because it is the holiday season, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy good food. Try to balance it with healthier options and you will be thankful at the end of the evening, and hey, maybe you can even inspire someone in your family or group of friends to do the same.
To find out more on how Naturopathic Medicine can help your health concerns, call us for a free “Meet & Greet” 905-239-3900.
We are happy to help!