Thyroid is a gland that is very misunderstood and unfortunately, there are too many women and men that have a deficiency in its function. Here are some tips that you can follow to optimize this gland.
Eat More Eliminate
Foods high in Iodine: sea vegetables such as seaweed, dulse, nori, kelp
Foods high in Selenium: shrimp, snapper, tuna, cod, halibut, calf’s liver, button and shitake mushrooms and Brazil nuts
Foods high in Zinc, Iron and Copper: pumpkin seeds, squash, calf’s liver, spinach, mushrooms, turnip greens and Swiss chard
Omega 3 Fats: flax oil, fish oils
Eat less of:
Aspartame, GLUTEN, and excess amount of non-fermented or uncooked soy, uncooked broccoli, cauliflower or cabbage
Metabolism Boosting Collard Wraps
For 8 Wraps
• 2 cups shredded carrots
• 2 shredded beets
• 6 green onions thinly sliced
• 1 tbsp. Kelp flakes (excellent source of selenium, zinc and iodine to boost metabolism)
• ¼ cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
• 2 tbsp. Miso paste (excellent source of probiotics)
• 8 collard leaves
• Combine in a large bowl thinly sliced green onions, shredded beets, carrots and Kelp flakes with miso paste and teriyaki sauce. Mix well.
• Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and place on a collard leaf and roll up tightly.
• Makes 8 wraps.