Written by Sandra Miranda, ND
What do heavy periods, cramps, PMS, fibroids, endometriosis and ovarian cysts have in common?
They can all come from an estrogen dominance problem. What does this mean?
Our periods are regulated mainly by 2 hormones: estrogen and progesterone. When estrogen is too high or progesterone is too low (or both!) then we end up with too much estrogen in relationship to progesterone.
How can we find out? Ideally we do a saliva hormone test on day 19, 20 or 21 of your menstrual cycle.
Many women with these health concerns benefit from improving the way our body gets rid of these excess estrogens.
Here are the top 5 tips to follow in order to help with this problem:
- Increase foods that are good for the liver such as beets, lemon/limes, carrots, artichokes, parsley, and dark green leafy vegetables. These foods support the detoxification reactions of the liver and therefore helps your body get rid of excess estrogens.
- Maintain regular bowel movements by having more fiber and water. If you have the above health concerns then being constipated is illegal!!! It is difficult to balance your hormones if you are not having regular bowel movements.
- Eliminate simple carbohydrates such as sugar, cakes, cookies, muffins etc. They are molecules that mimic estrogens and it will make your condition worse.
- Minimize exogenous estrogens such as meats and milk that come from animals that have been injected with hormones. And don’t microwave, drink water or store your food in plastic. Plastic has bisphenols (such as BPA) that mimic estrogens.
- Do a detox!!! If you have been suffering with heavy periods, cramps, PMS, fibroids, endometriosis and ovarian cysts- you need a detox!! If you don’t know how, then sign up for Dr Miranda’s Detox Course. You will learn everything you need to know to do a thorough 3 week detox. Here is the link (the first video of the page).