Can Estrogen Help Your Memory LossJuly 31, 2020
Ground Turkey and Spinach Stuffed MushroomsAugust 1, 2020
A Paleo Turkey Sweet Potato Casserole layered with eggplant, tomato, bright herbs and a nutty sauce. A protein packed dinner that’s super easy to make!
Servings: 6 servings
Calories: 278 kcal
Author: Skinny Fitalicious
For the Casserole:
- 1 lb ground turkey 98-99% lean
- 1 sweet potato peeled and spiralized*
- 1 eggplant sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (or zucchini)*
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 15 oz diced tomatoes liquid drained
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp tarragon + more for topping
For the Sauce:
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- Preheat oven 350 F and spray an 8×8 inch square casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add ground turkey, garlic and onion cooking until browned, breaking up the meat as it browns.
- Stir in the tomato paste and tomatoes to combine with the turkey. Add sweet potatoes cooking until slightly softened.
- Place chopped eggplant in a bowl with all seasonings and toss to combine.
- Layer the eggplant on the bottom of the casserole dish and top with turkey and sweet potato mixture. Place in the oven and bake 15 minutes.
- While baking, make the sauce. Add olive oil with almond and coconut flours to a small pot and bring to a boil. Boil the olive oil, almond and coconut flour.
- Stir 1 minute until it thickens then reduce to medium high heat slowly add almond milk to the pan whisking as you stir.
- Continue whisking another 10 minutes until the sauce reduces to half. Remove the casserole from the oven and top with the sauce from the pot.
- Place the casserole back in the oven to cook another 40-45 minutes until the top of the casserole has browned.
- Remove from the oven, top with more tarragon, slice into 6 pieces and serve immediately.